Sierra Vista, Arizona History

This is a 1942 oil on canvas painting by William E. Scott that measured 50 inches by 113 inches. Mr. Scott was the artist who painted the same image as a 120 foot mural with the same theme "New Peace With Victory" inside the Fry Army Recreation Center, also known as The Green Top. The GT was dedicated on March 27, 1943. Image provided by David Simpson.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

KHFH 1420 was Sierra Vista's first radio station.....



.... that was built and ran by John Bonet from Bisbee, AZ. The first broadcast was July 30, 1957 as a daytime only station with a power of 1000 watts from their studio on 700 N. Carmichael Ave. The last three of the call letters stood for: H-istorical; F-ort; H-uachuca. On September 5, 1962 the studio moved to their transmitting site, 2300 E. Busby Dr. John Meadors bought the vacated building and opened Meadors Grocery on September 19, 1963. KHFH changed their call letters to KTAN on September 28, 1973. The bottom photo taken in 1968.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Some local folks that streets are named in their honor.


1) Carmichael Ave to honor Margaret and Bill Carmichael.
2) Fry Blvd to honor Erwin Fry and his pioneer family.
3) Keating St. in honor of Paul Keating, the third mayor of  Sierra Vista, 1961-65.
4) Jean Randle Way in recognition of Jean Randle, the first woman elected as mayor of Sierra Vista by the public, served from 1983-87.
5) Sherbundy Street for Clarence and Margaret Sherbundy. Mr. Sherbundy was Sierra Vista's first police chief.
6) Steffen St. in honor of  Rudolph Steffen, Sierra Vista's first mayor.
7) Lenzner Ave to honor General Emil Lenzner, who became Fort Huachuca's post commander two weeks after reactivation on Febraury 1,1954.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Military Inn......



   .......was located on the corner of Fry Blvd and Carmichael Ave. the current location of the Wells Fargo Bank parking lot. Left image circa 1970. Right, August 1955 image shows the MI's seven foot wall to hold their dances under the stars. Courtesy The Bellantoni Family.
                     

MI history according to the SV Historical Society.

           
                                           Click on image to enlarge.

1965 Military Inn menu.

                   
    Menu obtained by David Simpson from a man who's name is Les, who lives and works in Tombstone. Les was working at the MI and left when he joined the Army in 1966. Les also donated a copy of this menu to the SV Henry Hauser Museum.

                  Click on the image to enlarge.

The MI always offered great entertainment.

               
                                  1964 Ads from the Gateway Times.  

POST OFFICE LOCATIONS - 1912 - present.

 Margaret Ziegan bought the building with the land on December 1911. Soon after she married Bill Carmichael and they ran the building as a store and post office. This building served as the post office when the community was called Overton; the name was later changed to Garden Canyon. In 1934 Lillian Fry became postmaster and in 1936 she moved the post office to the second location, 433 E. Fry Blvd. The community was called Fry, AZ until 1956 when the small town was incorporated and it became Sierra Vista. The same year the Fry store / post office burned down.                              
                       
                              335 N. Garden Ave. is aka the Daisy Mae's Steak House building.
                              433 E. Fry Blvd. directly west of La Casita Restaurant.
                              264 W. Fry Blvd. was in The El Rancho Shopping Center.
                              316 E. Fry Blvd. is where Sparks Furniture is now.
                              96 S. Carmichael Ave. the now location of Sierra Vista Food Co-op.  

Monday, September 28, 2015

Circa 1959........


    ........The Green Top apartments, launderette and drive-in Cafe. Opened their doors on March 27, 1943 and was demolished in 1962 to make room for McLellan's that opened on August 1963.  Image provided by David Santor.

The Gate Cafe........


    ......located next to The Service Club. One of the few places to get a home cooked meal in those days. Circa late 1940s - 1950s.

The Gate Cafe menu........

                   
                      Date: unknown. Courtesy Dona Rogers.

1930s.....


Sunday, February 8, 2015

1960 Geronimo Drive-In Theater


























  ....... alot of dirt roads back in those days. Canyon Drive and Theater Drive were paved on May 1961. Courtesy Norm and Kim Dunn / Henry Hauser Museum.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mid 1940s......

.....photo of Sherbunby's Canteen Drug Store. Paul Wolfe and Fred Whitton had the Gate Theater (Smoke Shop building) built in early 1942 and soon after they built The Canteen, a package liquor store. When the war was over, Paul Wolfe sold his interest to his partner Fred Whitton, then Fred Whitton sold the Canteen to Clarence Sherbundy. The new business became Sherbundy's Canteen Drug Store. In 1957 the Canteen was sold and a later date the front half of this building was removed and the remaining rear half of the building was remodled to become a bar which to locals that remember it as L & R Tap Room. I suggest checking out Virginia Sherbundy Rogers' Oral History on DVD, contact the Henry Hauser Museum for more information.Henry Hauser Museum photo.